Science and the Art of Storytelling
The 2022 Sloan Film Summit celebrates Sloan Foundation’s pioneering science and technology Film Program. The triennial event brings together hundreds of emerging screenwriters and filmmakers, as well as representatives from leading film schools, scientific partners and film organizations that work together to bridge the gap between science and popular culture.
April 8-10, 2022 | Los Angeles, CA
Registration for the 2022 Summit has closed.
Friday, April 8: 5:30 PM – 10:00 PM PT
Saturday, April 9: 9:00 AM – 8:00 PM PT
Sunday, April 10: 9:30 AM – 9:30 PM PT
Japanese American National Museum
100 N Central Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Map)
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown
120 S Los Angeles St, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (Map)
Academy Museum of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
6067 Wilshire Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90036 (Map)
A Sloan Shuttle will be running from the Japanese American National Museum to the Academy Museum on Saturday, April 9 at 5 PM. It will depart the Academy Museum for the Doubletree at 8 PM. Please check the detailed schedule for specific information.
Little Tokyo Mall Parking Garage
120 S. San Pedro St
Los Angeles, CA 90012
PLEASE NOTE: For Sloan Film Summit attendees with cars, we are happy to provide parking free of charge. To utilize parking validations available from Sloan Film Summit, please park in the Little Tokyo Mall, owned by Joe’s Auto Parks. For navigation, we recommend you use the address: 120 S. San Pedro St, next to Union Bank. Parking validation can be picked up from the Sloan Film Summit welcome desk at the Museum.
Additional support provided by:
Covid Safety Protocols
Given the ongoing community transmission of COVID-19, the 2022 Sloan Film Summit is not open to the public.
There is a need to maintain excellent safety measures to prevent COVID-19 transmission. A layered approach to prevention that includes masking, full vaccination (a booster is recommended if eligible), physical distancing and good ventilation is essential to slowing the spread of COVID-19. The guidance below outlines requirements and recommendations for all Participants to ensure safe Sloan Summit activities.
COVID Vaccination and Testing Requirements:
All Participants will be required to show proof of full vaccination (a booster is recommended if eligible) unless they require an exemption as required by law. Please contact the Director of Finance and Operations, Valecia Phillips at email@example.com immediately if an exemption is required so that Film Independent can participate in the interactive process with the attendee and determine whether there is a reasonable accommodation that will enable you to attend and that does not pose an undue hardship for Film Independent or other Participants, or fundamentally change the nature of the event.
Participants traveling by plane
- You will be required to take a Mail-In Lab PCR test within 48 hours of your flight departure time. To receive the kit, please upload your proof of vaccination and complete the request form at this link no later than Tuesday, March 29.
- You will be required to take a second Lab PCR test the morning of Friday, April 8 at the Doubletree Hotel. Note: Participants arriving after 12:00 PM PST on Friday, April 8 will be required to take both a Rapid PCR and Lab PCR upon arrival at the Doubletree Hotel. A negative Rapid PCR result will clear Participants to attend the Friday evening activities.
Participants who are local to Los Angeles
- You will be required to take a Lab PCR on Thursday, April 7. You may test at one of the modMOD locations, through a modMD Mail-In Kit or on your own. Note: Requests for Mail-In kits must be submitted no later than Tuesday, March 29.
- We strongly encourage testing through modMD. However, if you test on your own, you must take a Lab PCR on Thursday, April 7 only. Antigen and self-administered tests will not be accepted. Please upload your vaccination documentation and Lab PCR results at this link no later than 3:00 PM PST on Friday, April 8. Note: If the test is not covered by insurance, we will reimburse you by check within 10 business days following the event. A copy of the receipt will be required.
- You will be required to take a second Lab PCR test on the morning of Saturday, April 9 at the Japanese American National Museum.
Film Independent is collecting the results of your COVID test from you or through its approved third-party testing service for the sole purpose of verifying that you do not have COVID for the Sloan Summit. We will not use it for another purpose, nor will we disclose it to any third party or service provider, unless we have a legal obligation to do so, consistent with applicable law.